Home » Hawaii Vacation Tips, Hawaii Vacations, Headline

The Top Four Popular Hawaiian Scuba Diving Sites

3 September 2010

If there’s anything that Hawaii has plenty of, it’s warm water and clear seas, both of which make for a scuba diver’s paradise. All the Hawaiian islands host dive sites for the novice and sea monster alike.

The island of Oahu is the primary destination for arriving travelers and has a plethora of dive sites to excite even the most traveled divers. One of the favorite dive sites is the wreck of the Mahi, a 185 foot minesweeper that lies in 90 feet of water with the upper deck at 65 feet. The visibility often exceeds 100 feet and the Mahi hosts many beautiful eagle rays.

Kauai is known as the garden island; it is the oldest inhabited Hawaiian island and is the greenest and wettest. Tunnels beach is one of the most popular dive sites on Kauai and one of the most fascinating. The inner reef is ideal for snorkeling and for the scuba diver the outer is a maze of lava tubes and swim-throughs. Although marine life here is less plentiful, the geologic experience is awesome.

One of the top dives on the island of Molokai is the Hole in the Wall that can only be accessed by boat. The dive site is a large pinnacle with the peak reaching up to 40 feet and the base in 100 feet of water. On top there is a myriad of tropicals, moray eels and beautiful coral. As divers work their way down the sea mount there are good possibilities to observe sharks, manta rays and whales.

One of the most popular dive sites on the big island of Hawaii, that is a delight for novices and experienced divers alike, are the Mauna Lani caves. Also known as the haunted caverns, the caves begin in about 15 feet of water and continue down to over 40 feet. Some of the caves are very large, there are many neon colored tropical fish and Green sea turtles may be observed.

29 Comments »

• Fotos de viajes said:

Diving in Hawaii it’s a really nice experience, if you go there you must try it for sure 😉

• Cheap Air Tickets India said:

With appealing lava tube swim-through caves and varied marine life, there’s really no such thing as a typical Hawaiian dive. Hawaiian dive is all about swimming with large animals at unusual sites, it is as much of a thrill.

• Indianapolis Movers said:

I really want to check out the “Hole in the Wall” diving spot. It sounds amazing and fun. Thanks for this post!

• beach pictures said:

Am excited to go there. We’re planning to go there early next year.

• San Diego DUI Lawyer said:

I want to experience the scuba diving in Hawaii especially in the “Hole in the Wall”. As it is described that it could just be accessed by a boat. the experience may somewhat be challenging and enjoyable. I am also curious about the haunted caverns, the Mauna Lani caves. Oh well, I bet that divers will really appreciate the art of nature beneath the water!

• leinwand drucken said:

I love Hawaii and scuba diving. If you mix those to It’s definitely a perfect match. Scuba diving along with those marine life is an awesome experience. I’d recommend it to anybody anytime.

• Mortgage Boise ID said:

This sounds absolutely fun! There is just something about scuba diving that intrigues me. I think it would be amazing to see the ship wreck in Maui! Thanks for the info on here. I will keep this in mind when planning the next family vacation.

Ashley

• Fiance Visa said:

wow….! very great post of island of Oahu. I am very excited to go island of Oahu.
    Thanks for this nice post.

• buy women designer clothing said:

Wow! Beautiful video. It has taken very clearly. Hawaii is one of the finest island in the world and a great site of sea life.

• Nina Ottosson said:

I am a huge fan of scuba diving so I can’t wait to check out these what look to be amazing spots. We recently booked a trip to Hawaii so your blog is the perfect place to read about things to do and see.

• xcel infiniti said:

Since I am mostly into finding great surfing sites, I never really thought about going scuba diving on Hawaii. Perhaps now is the time to at least give it a try.

I think the sites you highlighted above will be perfect for me!

• Los Angeles Criminal Lawyer said:

“Hole in the Wall” Diving Sites made me confused because of its name and i want to check it out someday. I want to go in that place cause it still a mysterious place to me and i want to experience doing a scuba diving there. I want also to travel around Hawaii. Nice blog..

• Rane said:

I plan on spending my holiday in Hawaii. They say it’s great to go island hopping there and after reading your post, I will surely not leave that place without diving and also experiencing Hawaii’s underwater beauty.

• Luxury Hawaii Real Estate said:

Beautiful video. Thanks for sharing! As someone who lives in Hawaii, sometimes we take for granted or do not get out and experience the beauty that we are surrounded with. Things like this remind me of how lucky I am to live here.

Thanks again.

• Global Crane said:

I used for skim boarding and surfing. Now I have to try this time being under the sea. Scuba diving sounds fun. Well, I have no doubt for Hawaiian Scuba Diving Sites. The place itself is amazing for those who love nature and adventure.

• public relations said:

I love beaches! Love the coolness of the water and the surrounding scenery especially when the its summer time. I haven’t been in Hawaii but this post is encouraging me to be in this wonderful place on the next summer vacation. Can’t wait to explore the beauty of Hawaii.

• Whitsunday Islands said:

It looks amazing! Unfortunately, the only part of Hawaii that I have seen is the inside of the airport waiting for a connecting flight on to Australia.

Have you ever done any diving here in Australia? The Great Barrier Reef in Queensland is incredible, and the nearby Whitsunday Islands may not have quite as good diving but they do make a great base for visiting the reef.

I hope to visit Hawaii properly in the near future. I believe that the filmed the television series “Lost” on one of the islands – it looked stunning. Anyway, it reminded me of when I dived here in Australia.

And go BJ Penn! : )

• Nicole said:

Love the video. We’ve never been to Hawaii but when we do go, you’ve convinced me that we have to go diving.

• mauritius holidays said:

Scuba diving is just awesome. I have tried it once and want to do it again when I will get the opportunity

• lentak said:

That’s really a great place. Hopefully I will get there once and try diving. 🙂

• Baton Rouge Attractions said:

The post was quite informative and the video was simply awesome. I would like to take experience of the scuba diving in Hawaii. I am a big fan of traveling and I am sure this journey will go on and on.

• Camp Croatia said:

Would love to check out that sunk minesweeper.
    Diving around old shipwrecks is always a lot of fun. 🙂

• Visit Paris said:

Georgeous- never dive, but it’s always surprising to see the enviromental richess under the ocean. I had the opportunity to admire it by boat, but I think that diving would be great.

• Thailand scuba diving holidays said:

If you are looking for some inspiration on where to go on your next scuba diving holiday – then why not consider Thailand.

The Similan and Surin Islands National Marine Park is conveniently located two hours from Phuket international airport.

The crystal-clear turquoise warm waters of the Andaman Sea are home to a huge diversity of marine life, from the magical manta rays and whale sharks to the amazing soft corals, swim-throughs and much, much more – there is something for everyone.

The dive sites are suitable for the experienced diver as well as new divers due to multiple depths, high visibility and low currents.

• Forts & palaces of Rajasthan said:

Oahu is a nice, well-rounded island in Hawaii. Seriously, who made this check-in point? Does that mean I have to check in everyday or do I only do it when I go surf and come back to shore?

• travel information said:

Hawaii is a beautiful state having a chain of Spectacular Islands. Whether it is Oahu, Maui, Kauai, Molokai, Lanai, Kahoolawe, Niihau or the baby of the islands Hawaii, all are scenic in their own. It is a haven for those who love scuba diving.

• Arushi kapoor said:

hi, such a nice info i love Hawaii and scuba diving. If you mix those to It’s definitely a perfect match.I recommend for any one it to anybody anytime.

• Susan said:

This was a very well done and informative article. The video and content were outstanding. I research all I can on international and domestic destinations for our travel business and this was one of the better ones I have come accross. Thanks for your time and information. I think the next time I am in Hawaii I will venture out and try scuba diving. Thanks again.

• Fiancee Visa Attorney said:

Wow, I have always wanted to visit Hawaii but it is sooo far from New York where I live! One of these days perhaps I will make the trek when I am visiting my friends in California. Sounds like a plan 🙂